ARTHUR P. XANTHOS has been with the Firm since its founding in 1994, and as a partner since 2000. Each year since 2013, in recognition of his success at the Bar, he has been selected as a SuperLawyer in the New York Metro area.
Arthur is in charge of trials and arbitrations for insurance and individual clients, and his areas of emphasis are premises liability, construction defect, and toxic tort. His representative clients include condominiums, cooperatives, sponsors, construction managers, general contractors, developers, and private land owners.
Arthur has had dozens of reported decisions in a range of practice areas. These include Sanchez v. Brown Harris Stevens (employment discrimination); Hui v. Tieh Chi Ho (corporations law); Spalma v. Lawrence Towers (toxic tort); Carroll v. Nostra Realty (toxic tort); Ogust v. 451 Broome Street (toxic tort); DiCarlo v. Beacway (toxic tort); Great Northern v. 33072 Owners (insurance subrogation); Theodoli v. 170 East 77 (civil procedure); Van Kipnis v. Van Kipnis (contracts); Jones v. 170 East 92 Street (toxic tort); Waller v. Site Safety (premises liability); Payson v 50 Sutton Place South (insurance subrogation); Brown v. Time Warner Cable (employment discrimination) and Lowe v. Madison 79 (building encroachment). (For copies of these and other reported decisions in which the Firm was involved, see “Publications” above.)
Arthur has over 25 years of trial experience and has garnered numerous defense verdicts and other successful trial resolutions. Some verdicts and trials of note include Shuler v. Chiuten (1997)(medical malpractice directed verdict); Sorrentino v. Panzer Demolition (2000) (premises liability defense verdict); Garcia v. Reika Realty (2002) (premises liability defense verdict); Hui v. East Broadway Mall (2006) (corporate law defense verdict); Smith v. N.Y. Enterprises (2008)(premises liability trial); Carol Francis v. Leon B. DeMatteis (2010)(toxic tort defense verdict); Berenger v. 261 West LLC (2011)(condominium cooling tower nuisance trial); Reinhard v. Connaught Tower (2015)(secondhand smoke trial); Engler v. Aurajo (2016) (motor vehicle defense verdict); Benton v. 80 Cranberry (2016) (toxic tort trial); Vengrenyuk v. Exxon (2016)(personal injury trial); D’Allessandro v. Geico (2017)(snow and ice trial); M.C. v. NYCHA (2018)(high profile personal injury trial); Shackman v. 400 East 85th Street Realty Corp. (2018)(property damage trial); and Burbridge v. Soho Plaza (2018)(property damage trial).
Arthur also lectures extensively, and has served as a Visiting Assistant Professor of Business Law at Pratt Institute since 2009, where he teaches students working toward a construction management degree. His lectures and publications include the following:
- “Slippery Stairs and the Labor Law: New Guidance”, May 2017
- “Landlords and Secondhand Smoke Complaints: The Appellate Division Clears the Air”, (co-author), May 2017
- “Mold Personal Injury Lawsuits”, August 2016
- “NYC Building Owners and the Legionella Outbreak”, August 2015
- “Ignoring Court Ordered Discovery Leads to Preclusion”, December 2014
- “Arbitrating Indemnity Issues”, October 2014
- “Binding Arbitration: A New Timebomb”, August 2014
- “Mold Up in the Air: Settled”, August 2014
- “Pre-Loss Risk Management Meetings”, February 2014
- “Spoiling the Evidence – Spoiling the Case”, January 2014
- “Adjacent Landowner Liability for City Sidewalk Defects”, January 2014
- “The Legal Fees Sword”, January 2014
- “Noises Off”, January 2014
- Lecture, 2014 “When the Hammer Drops” – lecture to attorneys and insurance professionals at national seminar in Orlando, Florida.
- Lecture, 2012 “The Future of Toxic Tort Claims” – lecture to attorneys and insurance professionals at national seminar in Boca Raton, Florida.
- Lecture, 2008 Real Estate Litigation (Lorman) – lecture to New York attorneys at day-long seminar as part of their continuing legal education requirements.
- Lecture, 2007 Real Estate Litigation (Lorman) – lecture to New York attorneys at day-long seminar as part of their continuing legal education requirements.
- Lectures, Insurance Topics, 1994 to present (various insurance carriers) – provide seminars to insurance carrier clients on topics involving the defense of tort claims.
- Lectures, Various Legal Topics, 1990 to present (New York Building Managers Association) – guest lecturer for many years, addressing a professional guild of building managers on topics related to the building manager industry.
- “The Crystal Ball: Toxic Tort Litigation”, 2012
- “Mold Litigation – 2008 Overview”, (co-author) July 2008, published by Lorman Education Seminar Series.
- “Mold Litigation – 2007 Overview”, July 2007, (co-author), published by Lorman Education Seminar Series.
Arthur received his law degree from Fordham University School of Law in 1989, and his Bachelor of Arts degree from Williams College in 1986, where he was the recipient of a 7-year academic scholarship.